On 07/10/2018 03:48 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:
On Jul 10, 2018, at 10:11 AM, Andrej Ota <and...@ota.si> wrote:
Actually, both PAP and CHAP are irrelevant in this case. If Eve is in a
position to intercept TACACS+ traffic, she can flip a single bit in the
authentication response and that will ensure that the device (client) will
consider authentication to have succeeded. Obfuscation doesn't help, only
secured transport does.

   Yes.

Thus it's irrelevant to specifically mention any particular currently used
authentication method as all of them fail in exactly the same way *and* it's
irrelevant to distinguish between obfuscated and non-obfuscated variety as MitM
will succeed regardless.

   Yes and no.  It's still bad to send clear-text passwords over a clear
channel.  That can be called out and explained.

Agreed.

Since this makes secured transport a minimal necessary requirement for any
secure deployment, what benefit is there to try and find further examples of
what can be mandated if none of the mandates would meaningfully change the end
result?

   It's useful to explain *what* behaviours are insecure, and *why* they are
insecure.

Agreed. We (authors) were trying to put in more of the background as to what are the threats for this reason - empowering those who need to deploy the protocol to make the correct call.

Though I'd flip this and put emphasis on what behaviours are secure and declare others explicitly unsecure.

   The alternative is to leave the reader to fend for himself.  "Hmm... the authors
didn't say this was bad, so let's do it!"

No, that would be really bad outcome and I agree we must avoid it.

Let us (authors) take this recent feedback on board and reword things along the lines: - Use MUST where we want programmers to do the right thing, but be careful not to distort the actual protocol as currently implemented. Handling secrets, passwords seem like good targets for this.
 - Keep and improve verbiage documenting known risks.
- Give either MUST verbiage where there's only one thing to do (e.g. secured transport is a MUST). - Give SHOULD where there's multiple things (e.g. PAP vs. CHAP is closely related to password management on the server side).

Would this be the right way or not really?

Andrej.