I am sorry, but i don't think human parsing of ASCII diagrams to write code
for a protocol is appropriate for new designs anymore unless there are good
reasons. What are the good reasons ?

Is this another case of ready developed code and the ask is "IETF bless it's
spec" ?  Do we even know using any of the options (like CBOR) we have wouldnt
work ?
Not even having the discussion seems weird. I for once can't support this
work without having answers to those questions.  Ideally written down in
the draft.

We didn't invest all this effort into formal languages and standardized
encoding rules like CBOR to simply have them be ignored. And we're not asking
for considering their use because "that's what we do", but because of the
benefits
they bring to users and implementers: consistent cross-platform implementation,
ability to drive code from spec and make exensibilities easier (and i
am sure i am forgetting other benefits).

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---