…
> LINKTYPE_USB_LINUX_MMAPPED    220
>       USB packets, beginning with a Linux USB header, as specified by the
>       struct usbmon_packet in the Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt file in the
…

Whether that is a good registry entry is for the designated expert (DE) to
decide, not for the IESG.

The third document would establish the registry and maybe provide a few entries
so the IESG has some examples to look at.

If the policy is β€œspecification required”, the existing I-D + a filled in web
form at iana.org may be all that is needed to do that.

> I was assuming that pcap and pcapng would wind up with normative references
> to each other, and wind up going through the RFC editor queue together.

I hope we can avoid that.

> Maybe we can eliminate all of the pcap->pcapng normative references.

Yes, please!

(Having a normative reference to a HISTORIC document is a bit weird, anyway.)

Grüße, Carsten