On 1/5/22 09:39, Kenneth Vaughn wrote:
Tom, Joe, Wes, et al:

I propose that we address the overarching questions first as they potentially
affect the entire scope of the draft. Namely:

  1.  Can we can continue to use
https://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-parameters/tls-parameters.xhtml#tls-parameters-18
 for the TLSHashAlgorithm identifier?  Doing so would greatly simplify the
update and would eliminate any revision to the SNMP-TLS-TM-MIB.  I believe Joe
Clarke is taking the lead to check with the registry experts to see if this can
continue to be used. If so, I propose that the next I-D be changed to offer an
update to RFC 6353 (rather than a new or replacement RFC). As such, the MIB
would be removed, which would shorten the I-D to just a few pages.

On this topic, I reached out to the tls-reg-review experts list on this
registry.  The consensus there is that the TLSHashAlgorithm registry is for TLS
1.2 and for hashes supported by TLS < 1.3.  In other words, if new hashes were
to be added here, they would imply support by TLS < 1.3.  This is obviously not
desired.

The suggestion was to connect with tls@ to get additional suggestions on how to
move forward.

  1.  RFC 8996 (BCP 195) updated RFC 6353 with a prohibition on using (D)TLS
versions prior to 1.2. What is the status of an IETF BCP? In other words, can
we reference a Best Current Practice or do we restate the requirements (i.e, is
a BCP considered normative text – or is it considered to be a lower precedence
since it was approved through a shortened process?). I would think that a BCP
is relatively informal and that we would want to formalize the rules in our
document.

The BCP is very similar to a standards-track document, and you can reference
it.  I also think you can restate the requirement not to use TLS < 1.2.

  1.  RFC 6353 indicated that it was "NOT RECOMMENDED" to use a
non-transport-aware security model, including USM and previous versions of
SNMP. However, support for USM remained a requirement (inherited from STD 62)
and other comments were included regarding implementations that supported
previous versions of SNMP. Given that a system is only as secure as its weakest
link, what should our position be on the use and support of USM and previous
versions of SNMP?

a.     Support and enablement mandatory

b.     Support mandatory; enablement silent; use not recommended (RFC 6353 for
USM)

My opinion (as a contributor) would be this option (b).

Joe