On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 08:00:12PM +0000, Joe Clarke (jclarke) wrote:

>   1.  RFC 6353 indicated that it was "NOT RECOMMENDED" to use a
> non-transport-aware security model, including USM and previous versions of
> SNMP. However, support for USM remained a requirement (inherited from STD 62)
> and other comments were included regarding implementations that supported
> previous versions of SNMP. Given that a system is only as secure as its
> weakest link, what should our position be on the use and support of USM and
> previous versions of SNMP?

I think there is some confusion here. RFC 6353 says:

   Using a non-transport-aware Security Model with a secure Transport
   Model is NOT RECOMMENDED.

The text does _not_ say that USM is NOT RECOMMENDED. It says that the
combination USM/(D)TLS is not recommended, instead TSM/(D)TLS should
be used (with TSM defined in RFC5591). RFC 6353 does not say anything
concerning the usage of STD 62. The scope of RFC 6353 is the transport
of SNMP messages over DTLS/TLS - and nothing else.

One of the big challenges back in the SNMPv3 days was to get
modularity right and from this perspective it feels very wrong if a
secure transport specification provides recommendations about the
usage of something entirely unrelated to the secure transport
specification. If people want to deprecate or retire USM, then this
requires a separate document that changes STD 62.

/js

--
Jürgen Schönwälder              Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>