发件人: thomas.g...@swisscom.com
发送时间: 2023-01-04 00:20
收件人: li_zhenqi...@hotmail.com; zhoutianran=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org;
i...@ietf.org
抄送: opsawg@ietf.org
主题: RE: [ippm] 回复: FW: WG Adoption Call for
draft-tgraf-opsawg-ipfix-on-path-telemetry-01
Dear Zhenqiang,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I presume with gRPC you are referring to YANG push (RFC 8639, RFC 8641,
draft-ietf-netconf-udp-notif, draft-ietf-netconf-https-notif). gNMI (gRPC is
the transport of gNMI) has been proposed (draft-openconfig-rtgwg-gnmi-spec) in
2018 but not standardized within IETF as a transport protocol for YANG push. It
did not find enough traction. A good overview about the state of the union
about YANG push in the industry is a presentation I gave at the IEPG, slide
3-6,
http://www.iepg.org/2022-11-06-ietf115/slides-115-iepg-sessa-network-operator-challenges-in-network-telemetry-data-mesh-integration-thomas-graf-00.pdf.

RFC 9232 gives a good overview about Network Telemetry. In section 3.1.3
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9232#section-3.1.3) is a summary of
the protocols for forwarding plane data collection. As you pointed out, it
makes sense to use one common Network Telemetry protocol. However today we have
3, IPFIX for data plane, BMP for BGP routing control-plane and YANG push for
management-plane. These 3 protocols have different unique mandatory
characteristics. IPFIX allows data reduction with sampling (RFC5476) an
aggregation (RFC7015). While BMP allows to mirror BGP PDU's (lightweight) and
add device dimensions such as peering, RIB and route-policy (context). And YANG
push allows through its sophisticated data modelling to have configurational
and operational metrics within a single data model.

In OPSAWG presentation of IETF 115
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/115/materials/slides-115-opsawg-export-of-on-path-delay-in-ipfix-00.pdf)
 I described in slide 2 and 3 the benefit of adding the delay measurements to
IPFIX. Having one single protocol for data-plane data collection. The ability
to perform data correlation and aggregation with an existing proven IPFIX
protocol. Does that resonate with you?

The use cases are described in section 5 of the draft
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-tgraf-opsawg-ipfix-on-path-telemetry-01#section-5).
 Able to see for a given egress interface, BGP next-hop or SRv6 traffic
engineered path or active segment how much delay at which node we accumulate.
With YANG push this would be rather difficult and expensive to achieve. This
was also confirmed by large network operators in their first on-path delay
measurement deployments.

Best wishes
Thomas