From: Joe Clarke (jclarke) <jclarke=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Date: Friday, 10 March 2023 at 21:50
To: Marisol Palmero Amador (mpalmero) <mpalm...@cisco.com>, opsawg@ietf.org
<opsawg@ietf.org>, Rob Wilton (rwilton) <rwil...@cisco.com>
Cc: Sudhendu Kumar <sudhendu.kumar....@gmail.com>, Shwetha Bhandari
<shwetha.bhand...@thoughtspot.com>, Jan Lindblad (jlindbla)
<jlind...@cisco.com>, inventory-y...@ietf.org <inventory-y...@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: New Version Notification for draft-palmero-opsawg-dmlmo-09.txt
Hello, authors.  I’ve read through the new -09 and I have a few comments and
questions.  First, thanks for the effort here to abstract inventory and to show
how this work can map to other inventory models.

I’m not sure your change from license to entitlement tracks 100%.  Your model
for “entitlement” strongly resembles a vendor entitlement and not something
that would be issued by the Open Source community as you say in section 2.  I
would be very curious how you see modeling, say, the BSD License in this
entitlement framework.

On that point, I think this draft would benefit from some examples of different
hardware, software, and entitlements and how they would look in this overall
model.

In Section 2, your last term is “User Experience” which you describe as being
influenced by “ease of use” as it pertains to a user’s experience.  Where and
how is that rationalized in your four classes described in Section 3?  And
wouldn’t those four classes describe LMO vs. the user experience?
Specifically, the description of an asset (class 1) doesn’t seem to me to be
directly related to user experience.  I also wonder how some of the feature use
elements might also fit into Open Telemetry and instrumentation of an
application to understand use.  I’m not saying OTel replaces this, but there
might be some cross-over there in the application space.  That might even get
closer to understanding the ease of use you mention.

With respect to the YANG modules, there are a lot of “string” types here.  In
particular, the incident management model feels both under-described and
perhaps too restrictive in its fields to provide general use across multiple
vendors and OSS.

Ultimately, I feel this draft, even with it being more agnostic to inventory,
is trying to cover a lot of ground.  Perhaps an initial focus on entitlements
and/or features would be helpful in focusing the work.

Joe