Perfect. Thanks Med

B.

On 5/5/2023 11:47 AM, mohamed.boucad...@orange.com wrote:

*De :*Benoit Claise <benoit.cla...@huawei.com>
*Envoyé :* vendredi 5 mai 2023 11:04
*À :* thomas.g...@swisscom.com; opsawg@ietf.org; BOUCADAIR Mohamed INNOV/NET <mohamed.boucad...@orange.com>
*Cc :* juans...@cisco.com; rjo...@cisco.com; me <benoit.cla...@huawei.com>
*Objet :* Re: draft-boucla-opsawg-ipfix-fixes-04

Thanks for spotting this.
See inline.

On 5/3/2023 4:07 PM, thomas.g...@swisscom.com wrote:

    Dear OPSAWG, Med and Benoit

    Regarding section 6.2, forwardingStatus

(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-boucla-opsawg-ipfix-fixes-04#section-6.2).
    Section 4.12 of RFC 7270
    (https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7270.html#section-4.12)
    describes that reduced-size encoding according to Section 6.2 of
    RFC 7011 (https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7011#section-6.2) can
    be applied. Further Section 4.12 of RFC 7270 describes that "The
    basic encoding is 8 bits. The future extensions could add one or
    three bytes". The IANA IPFIX registry
    (https://www.iana.org/assignments/ipfix/ipfix.xhtml) reads
    unisgned8 for IE89 forwardingStatus.

    Recently we came across a vendor implementation which implemented
    IE89 forwardingStatus with unsigned32 instead of unsigned8
    already. This raised the following questions which I like to
    clarify here:

     1. Does "The future extensions could add one or three bytes"
        means that data type can be changed from unsigned8 to
        unsigned32 today already or is a new RFC document needed to
        update the IPFIX entity?

Actually, this is clearly a bug in the IFPIX IANA registry.
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7270.html#section-4.12 mentions unsigned32 and it's not the case in the IPFIX IANA registry

    2.
     3. Does " reduced-size encoding" also applies for increasing the
        field size?

No. That's the reason why unsigned32 must be in the IPFIX IANA registry

     4. If yes, I find the wording rather misleading.
     5. If IE89 forwardingStatus can be implemented in unsigned8,
        unsigned16 and unsigned32, shouldn't it be reflected in the
        IPFIX registry accordingly?

    Depending on the answers we might take the opportunity with
    draft-boucla-opsawg-ipfix-fixes to update the IE89
    forwardingStatus description.

As I mentions, this is a bug.
We can take the opportunity to include it in draft-boucla-opsawg-ipfix-fixes-05
Med did it, and this is perfect. Thanks.
To make it clear and avoid any issues (which I smell coming) with the IE-doctors at review time, I would make it very clear in the next version of the draft:     [IANA Note: this unsigned8 to unsigned32 is actually a bug, as https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7270.html#section-4.12 clearly mentions that the Abstract Data Type must be unsigned32]

Thanks to Thomas for the investigaiton and Med for the speedy reaction.

Regards, Benoit

    Best wishes

    Thomas

falsifie. Merci.