John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-srv6-srh-12: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-srv6-srh/

DISCUSS:

Thanks to Mohamed Boucadair for the high-quality shepherd write-up with
illuminating details.

I have one point I'd like to have a discussion about. As you note in Section
6.2, compressed segment lists are a thing, and one of their implications is
that (with certain flavors) one can have an SRH-less SRv6 packet, a "bare
cSID". I wonder if it would be desirable to elaborate on how (for example) the
srhSegmentIPv6ListSection is to be formed (I guess it might just be a verbatim
copy of the cSID, and the importer has to do the work to figure it out?) or how
the srhSegmentIPv6BasicList is to be formed (I guess the exporter has to do the
work to decompress the cSID to provide the expanded representation). And what
of srhIPv6Section? Would it just be omitted in the case of a bare cSID, would
it be a zero-length octetArray, ...?

I don't have a fixed idea of how (or even if) the document should be changed to
address this question but I'd like to know the authors' thoughts on the matter.

COMMENT:

srhIPv6ActiveSegmentType is described (in a couple places) as the "name of the
routing protocol". It's not a name, though, that would imply a string. It's a
designator; the protocol is named in the associated IANA registry, not the
information element itself. Probably you could fix this by just dropping "name
of the" although you could also change it to something like "designator of the".