Toerless Eckert <t...@cs.fau.de> wrote:
    >> > If this geofenced is what i think, then i don't believe it is a valid
    >> > argument:
    >>
    >> > The draft outlines how TLS proxying does not work with 1.3
    >> > anymore. However, TCP and UDP proxying would still work, as long as
    >> > servers do not try to deduce anything from the IP address of the
    >> > connecting clinet (or vice versa), but only worry about the
    >> > cryptographic authentication.
    >>
    >> > In result, a well working strategy for MUD enforcement points would be
    >> > to act as TCP/UDP proxies for all the domain names known from MUD
    >> > files.  In return of course, they have to be the DNS servers inquired.
    >>
    >> So, the idea is to lie in DNS for all the names in the MUD file, point at
    >> some RFC1918/20 block (or trivially a single IPv6/64).  Then each end
point
    >> is then proxied at the circuit layer to the real destination.
    >>
    >> This will trivially break if a device turns on DNSSEC, but otherwise, it
    >> seems like a reasonable way to implement.

    > Sure, but that DNSSEC issue equally applies to TLS proxies, right ?
    > DNSSEC is not mentioned in the docs paragraphs discussing TLS.

TLS proxies do not change/break DNS(SEC).
They "attack" at the TCP layer (in the same way NAT44 does), forcing traffic
through their engine.

    > And MUD devices with TA for their cloud services would arguably not just
    > believe wrong DNS information when their TLS peer don't provide the right
    > credentials, and hopefully those are not just WebPKI anyhow. Aka: not sure
    > if DNSSEC is relevant.

They could well enable DNSSEC for name resolution.
(An IoT device with RPI4 inside, using systemd would do that today.
I am working on a project <rightnow> that uses such things as displays in a
kiosk mode, and a MUD file would be a good idea)

The TLS validation step is really a separate thing, and with what you
suggested, an IP address per destination, and a circuit-layer forward proxy,
then the device would actually be connected (at layer-4) to the real target.
So whatever TLS certificate validation they do would just continue to work.

    > Of course, one could always extend MUD to explicitly allow clients
    > to look for local-domain domain names to explicitly support TCP/UDP or TLS
    > proxies in case such proxies are desired. TLS proxies of course still
    > being a highly desirable option to support (likely independent of this
draft),
    > to allow the operator of the MUD devices to actually inspect the traffic
    > between te devices the operator owns and their cloud services.

I don't really understand what you are saying here.
Yes, some people would like to inspect traffic from their IoT devices.
Others see that as a serious risk to the device, and specifically do not want
the liability.  Even enterprises that do forced TLS inspection are apparently
recognizing that they MUST exempt banking and health traffic; or face serious
legal consequences.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )