Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls-15: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls-15

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education), and one nit.

Special thanks to Thomas Fossati for the 18-month old shepherd's detailed
write-up including the WG consensus and a *very light* justification of the
intended status.

Other thanks to Miek Gieben, the Internet directorate reviewer, please consider
this int-dir review:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls-15-dnsdir-telechat-gieben-2024-07-27/
(alas there is still no mention to RFC 7858 in this revision even after Tiru's
2024-07-29 email)

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS (non-blocking)

## Section 12.2

Please fix this, there are 2 normative references listed for RFC 6234 & 5869
that are not used at all, i.e., remove all unused references (per idnits tool).

## Section 1

Like observed by Roman, using an 8-year old reference as the foundation of this
document may indicate that this document may be useless in 2024.

In `Specifically, malware may not use the DoH server provided by the local
network` please add references to ADD RFC.

Humm, I wonder why there is "mud" in the I-D title if the document contains
`This is superior to the layers 3 and 4 ACLs of Manufacturer Usage Description
Specification (MUD)` ;-)

## Section 3

"middlebox" is used but not specified in this document, suggest using the right
MUD terminology. The ambiguous "middlebox" also appears in other sections.

Is ` end-of-life of a device` linked to ` IoT manufacturer no longer supports
the device`, I guess so but this is not clear at all.

Please add a reference to "Slowloris".

## Section 5.2

As some IoT devices won't ever be updated, should the YANG module also support
*obsoleted* TLS versions ? A very contentious decision of course but I would
prefer to support it than ignoring old devices.

# NITS (non-blocking / cosmetic)

## Section 7

The example includes `2019-18-06T` could it be refreshed to 2024 ?