Hi Éric,

Thanks for the review. Please see inline

On Mon, 5 Aug 2024 at 14:37, Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <nore...@ietf.org>
wrote:

> Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls-15: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to
> https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/
> for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls/

> COMMENT:
>

> # Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls-15
>
> Thank you for the work put into this document.
>
> Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
> appreciated even if only for my own education), and one nit.
>
> Special thanks to Thomas Fossati for the 18-month old shepherd's detailed
> write-up including the WG consensus and a *very light* justification of the
> intended status.
>
> Other thanks to Miek Gieben, the Internet directorate reviewer, please
> consider
> this int-dir review:
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls-15-dnsdir-telechat-gieben-2024-07-27/
> (alas there is still no mention to RFC 7858 in this revision even after
> Tiru's
> 2024-07-29 email)

It is updated in the Github repo
https://github.com/tireddy2/mud-tls/blob/master/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls-16.txt.
We plan to publish a revised draft later this week.

> I hope that this review helps to improve the document,
>
> Regards,
>
> -éric
>
> # COMMENTS (non-blocking)
>
> ## Section 12.2
>
> Please fix this, there are 2 normative references listed for RFC 6234 &
> 5869
> that are not used at all, i.e., remove all unused references (per idnits
> tool).

Thanks, I removed those references.

> ## Section 1
>
> Like observed by Roman, using an 8-year old reference as the foundation of
> this
> document may indicate that this document may be useless in 2024.

Yes, I responded to Roman that we will generalize the description of TTPs
and focus on the broader observation that (D)TLS protocol parameters can be
leveraged to block malicious and security policy-violating traffic.

> In `Specifically, malware may not use the DoH server provided by the local
> network` please add references to ADD RFC.

Fixed.

> Humm, I wonder why there is "mud" in the I-D title if the document contains
> `This is superior to the layers 3 and 4 ACLs of Manufacturer Usage
> Description
> Specification (MUD)` ;-)

The document builds upon the MUD framework by extending it to include
(D)TLS profile parameters. It is only meant to highlight the additional
security measures provided. I added the following text for clarity: The
goal is to enhance and complement the existing MUD specifications, rather
than to undermine them.

> ## Section 3
>
> "middlebox" is used but not specified in this document, suggest using the
> right
> MUD terminology. The ambiguous "middlebox" also appears in other sections.

I added the term for "middlebox". A middlebox that interacts with TLS
traffic can either act as a TLS proxy, intercepting and decrypting the
traffic for inspection, or inspect the traffic between TLS peers without
terminating the TLS session.

> Is ` end-of-life of a device` linked to ` IoT manufacturer no longer
> supports
> the device`, I guess so but this is not clear at all.

Yes, updated text for clarity.

> Please add a reference to "Slowloris".

Done.

> ## Section 5.2
>
> As some IoT devices won't ever be updated, should the YANG module also
> support
> *obsoleted* TLS versions ? A very contentious decision of course but I
> would
> prefer to support it than ignoring old devices.

Networks and IoT devices that support MUD would consider security a key
criteria and they would most likely avoid using obsoleted TLS versions.

> # NITS (non-blocking / cosmetic)
>
> ## Section 7
>
> The example includes `2019-18-06T` could it be refreshed to 2024 ?

Yes, fixed.

Cheers,
-Tiru