Bon dia,

Keep in mind the 70% industry failure rate, and decide if you need to
spend money on outside experts. If you do decide to get outside help,
make sure it is good (sensa pallassos).

There are probably a lot of resources available about database design
(normalization/etc.) Try the following web site (oriented toward
american/english only) as a start:

   http://www.odtug.com

In general, be skeptical of doctrinaire statements about needing
"pure" normalized designs. Instead look into "structured
denormalization" methods, especially if performance will be an issue.

I know a guy here (venezuelan, abuelos/padres de espana, esposa de
catalunya) who works for an international consulting company that has
been working for about five years on a SAP/Oracle implementation for
a local HP manufacturing facility. They took 19 separate previous
legacy systems (all HR, business, manufacturing, shipping, etc.) and
converted to SAP/Oracle. It works.

I work at a University, one of twenty five campuses around
California, that is in the process of starting up a $350,000,000+
(yes, 350 million $) integration project including converting
existing campus data systems to an outsourced (single site, out of
state) datacenter running Peoplesoft on Oracle/Sun. The old systems
(Information Associates) were mostly Cobol/VSAM on IBM mainframes,
but there were several campuses that had other systems, including, I
think, several Banner/Oracle student records systems (Unix?).  During
the project, besides the Peoplesoft/Oracle component, a lot of money
will be spent on infrastructure, especially networking, and
standardizing support of desktops (PC hardware and software).

Other than that, at this campus, historically Oracle usage has been
"minor" (non-mission-critical) mostly in 1) lab environment for
instruction of Computer Science students, 2) some small/medium
commercial software packages that run on Oracle (NT and Unix), and 3)
some small Oracle servers are set up for small departmental
applications. I'm one of those in group #3, we do research and data
collection in support of grant funding. If we were starting all over
from the beginning, it would probably make a lot more sense to use
sql server, but when we started using Oracle (12 years), sql server
didn't exist. Also, we get special educational discounts for Oracle
licenses.

Several years ago, around the time of the "asian" economic collapse,
I read an article (business analysis) about how Oracle had pretty
much saturated its traditional database markets (large
telecommunications companies, etc.) Viola, "eCommerce", a new market
was born.

At the big conference (IOUG?) that Oracle puts on for users in the
USA every year, the main IT guy at amazon.com talked about how they
run their business on Oracle. Maybe someone can find out if his talk
is on one of Oracle's web sites.

Several years ago (5?) I talked to a gentleman in the Cartography
Department at the University, Barcelona that was using Oracle. At
that time the economy was bad in Spain, and I was trying to find out
of it was possible to get a job there since my wife is catalan, and
wanted to move back from the USA. He said that use of Oracle in Spain
was somewhat limited to government agencies and telecoms, and that in
his opinion, since americans were responsible for the bad economic
conditions (globalism/etc.), it was unlikely that I'd find anything
there. Anyway, you should probably call the Universities/Colleges and
ask the professors and staff what industries are in your area that
use Oracle.

If you have time, please look up International Oracle User Groups on
the web, and contact the people in Madrid. If you go to one of their
meetings, you can meet Oracle customers, and informally exchange
information.

Oracle craporation is considered to be very masterful at marketing
(selling their products, $$$$$). You may find that a lot of the
material you hear from Oracle marketing people is very "slick"
(propaganda). It is a very good idea to get a "reality check" about
what you hear from Oracle's marketing people. I don't know if they
still have them, or if so, if they are any good anymore, but ask for
a "pre-sales technical consultant" if the regular marketing people
don't seem to be able to explain technical details to your
satisfaction.

adeu,
ep

On 19 Apr 2001, at 0:00, Beatriz Martinez wrote:

Date sent:              Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:00:22 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
tions?

Author: Eric D. Pierce