On my previous gig all DB access was via stored procedures returning ref cursors through JDBC. The Java dweebs could do just about anything with the ref cursor. It worked really well. I could actually tune SQL queries on the running production application without any recompilation. Nice seperation of code. The DBA can tune real SQL code and the developers won't even know. No embedded SQL. Yeah!!

OCI can also accommodate ref cursors.

Steve Orr

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Baumgartel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 2:11 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Stored procedures that return multiple rows

We're considering a mandate that all database access be via stored procedures (probably in packages).  These would be called either via OCCI (the C++ call interface) or JDBC.  My question is whether anyone's had experience in returning a result set from a PL/SQL procedure under these circumstances, and how it was implemented:  did you return a ref cursor, an index-by table, a set of arrays....?  Any advice will be appreciated.  Thanks!

Paul Baumgartel
MortgageSight Holdings, LLC