Doh!
Your message came minutes after I'd already opened the database.
When I attempt the recovery I get the message
        SVRMGR> recover database until cancel using backup controlfile;
        ORA-00279: change 278038264 generated at 11/01/01 01:28:13 needed
for thread 1
        ORA-00289: suggestion :
/u14/oradata/ent/arch/arch.logentarch16551.dbf
        ORA-00280: change 278038264 for thread 1 is in sequence #16551
        ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors
        ORA-00356: inconsistent lengths in change description
        ORA-00353: log corruption near block 225 change 29240139592704 time
10/31/01 01:

Do you think this is because I did indeed already open the database
normally?  Or do you think it's cuz I really do have bad archive files??

Thanks for your response.
Much appreciated.
Barb

Author: Baker, Barbara