-----Original Message-----
Sent: 13 November 2001 04:40
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Mark, It looks like you have already read up on this
problem, but here is some more info if you need it.

The problem is with the symcjit.dll. The DLL does a
CPUID detection for Intel. Intel has it documented at
http://developer.intel.com/design/processor/future/manuals/knownissue.htm
.

Here are some possible solutions I found in a bulliten
(some you tried). This info appears to be from 8i

Not only will OUI be affected by this bug, most of the
post-install
configuration tools will also be affected.  Running
these tools with "-nojit"
specified will avoid the hang, but it is not simple to
specify "-nojit" for
some of the products.
WORKAROUND:
To avoid the hang in the installation itself, do the
following:
> > a. Copy the install directory from the CD to the
hard disk say, e:\temp.
> > b. Open oraparam.ini and make the following
modifications (Assuming CD
drive is f:)
* Change the "SOURCE=" line to use the full path to
the CD instead of a
relative path.  (i.e. SOURCE=f:/stage/products.jar)
* Change the "JRE_LOCATION" line to use the full path
to the CD instead of a
relative path. (i.e.
JRE_LOCATION=f:/stage/Components/oracle/swd/jre/1.1.7/1/DataFiles/Expanded)
* Change the "OUI_LOCATION" line to use the full path
to the CD instead of a
relative path. (i.e.
OUI_LOCATION=f:/stage/Components/oracle/swd/oui/1.6.0.9.0/1/DataFiles/Expand
ed
* Change the "JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS" line to add "-nojit"
as the first argument.
(i.e.  JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-nojit -ms16m -mx32m)
                          ^^^^^^
* Other entries should remain the same
.
c. Launch setup.exe from the temporary location on
your hard drive (i.e.
e:\temp\install\win32\setup.exe). This will use the
modified oraparam.ini and
pick up the information from the CD since the absolute
locations are
specified.
.
Choose a Custom install and choose not to create a
database during the
install.  This way, the Database Configuration
Assistant will not be launched
during installation.
The Net8 Configuration Assistant will still be
launched, and there is no way
to suppress it.  You will need to kill the Net8
Configuration Assistant if it
hangs due to the bug.  The installation still will
have been successful, and
you can run the DBCA and NetCA after installation.
To kill NetCA if it hangs during installation:
In the "Configuration Tools" window, highlight the
"Net8 Configuration
Assistant" and click "Stop".  If that does not work,
look for the most recent
JRE process using the Task Manager, and kill it
manually.  NOTE:  the OUI
itself will also have a jre process.  Be sure to kill
the one with the most
recent date, which should be the jre process being
used for Net8CA, not the
one for OUI itself.
After killing the configuration tools and continuing
through the installation
to the "End of Installation" screen, you should modify
the configuration tools
to use "-nojit", then call the appropriate tools from
the Start Menu.
For each of the following files in the ORACLE_HOME:
assistants\dbca\dbassist.cl
assistants\dbma\dbmig.cl
assistants\ifa\ifa.cl
@ bin\elogin.cl
bin\owm.cl
ldap\oidamdin\oidadmin.cl
network\tools\netasst.cl
network\tools\netca.cl
@ owm\install\instelogin.cl
owm\install\instowm.cl
.
Edit the contents of the file to add "-nojit" as shown
below:
Command=("C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\BIN\JREW"
-nojit -classpath ....
          this is the only thing you need to add  -->
^^^^^^
.
Then, launch the necessary tools, like Net8CA and DBCA
from the Start Menu.

Replace the
existing symcjit.dll with the new one from the
jre-1_2_2_007.
This version 3.10.0.107 has the fix for the Pentium
4's. You also need to take
the jvm.dll file from that same jre installation and
copy it into the same
location as the symcjit.dll. I am not sure why you
need that, but when you
run the installer and that file is not present Windows
barks that it cannot
find jvm.dll - Although it still runs the installer
without it.

Another Workaround Exists for the Oracle Universal
Installer:
1. Create a temporary directory on your server.
2. Copy the contents of the Oracle Server CD to the
temporary directory
created in step 1.
3. Search the directory structure created in step 1
for the existence of
the filename symcjit.dll.
4. Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
5. Run the setup.exe from the \install\win32 directory
and install

I don't have a P4 so I have no idea if any of these
will work.

Good Luck,

Scott

C:\DOCUME~1\MARKLE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\OraInstall\jre\binjrew.exe.

http://personals.yahoo.com
Author: Scott

Author: Mark Leith