WinterSun,

Hmm, this doesn't sound like bug 1397603.  That bug
manifests itself as a memory leak in the 'State
objects' area of the shared pool, not the
'Miscellaneous' area.  Bug 1397603 is also fixed in
the 8.1.7.2 patchset, so if you already have that
applied (hint, hint!) you're not encountering this bug
and there's no need to set _db_handles_cached = 0.

I believe the bug Kimberly is referring to is bug
1240484, which is a process memory leak (i.e.
ORA-4030, not ORA-4031) with MTS shared server
sessions when there are frequent connect/disconnects.
That bug is fixed in 8.1.7.1.

If IOT's are involved, you could be hitting bug
1642964 if the IOT is the inner table in a nested loop
join.  Fixed in 9.0.1.  Workaround:  set
optimizer_index_caching = 1

I'm more inclined to believe you're hitting bug
1921561 or bug 1970290, both of which have been
awaiting more info from the customer for whom the bug
was filed.  The workaround for both of them was to set
STAR_TRANSFORMATION_ENABLED = FALSE or
_db_file_noncontig_mblock_read_count = 1.  If you use
bitmap indexes, disabling star transformation is
likely to cause a noticeable performance hit so you
might want to try the other workaround.

Otherwise, if you can reproduce this in a test
environment, it would be helpful to file a tar with
support so a bug can be filed.

HTH,

-- Anita

http://greetings.yahoo.com