Hi Doug!

It sounds like SMON is busy doing something else, most
likely coalescing free space or deallocating temp
segments.  See metalink Note: 61997.1 "SMON -
Temporary Segment Cleanup and Free Space Coalescing"

While there are events that can be set to prevent smon
from coalescing or cleaning up temp segments, they are
only a temporary measure to allow one to defer the
cleanup to a more convenient time.  The best bet is to
let smon finish its job and then set proper extent
sizes for temp tablespaces or use locally managed temp
tablespaces.

Did the db crash or was a shutdown abort done?  SMON
could be doing instance recovery.  I've seen cases
where SMON was "stalled" when doing recovery when
FAST_START_PARALLEL_ROLLBACK was set.  Shutting down
and setting FAST_START_PARALLEL_ROLLBACK = FALSE
allowed SMON to finish recovery.

As a workaround in any of the above situations, you
can create a permanent tablespace and redirect users'
temporary tablespace to that permanent tablespace.

HTH,

-- Anita

http://greetings.yahoo.com
Author: A. Bardeen