Hey Anita!
Thanks for the useful info.
Actually, after the stats were hanging I started querying various tables and
those queries also started hanging; queries on v$latch and a couple of others.
I finally shutdown abort and got an ORA-600 error.
I looked it up on the extremely handy ORA-600 tool and found that the first
argument - 1113  indicated the following...

VERSIONS:
  versions 7.3.X to 8.1.7

  We are freeing a state object but it already appears to be on the free list.

  This is generally an in memory (SGA) corruption or due to a bug
  in mishandling the state objects.

FUNCTIONALITY:
  STATE OBJECT MANAGER

IMPACT:
  PROCESS FAILURE
  POSSIBLE INSTANCE FAILURE IF DETECTED BY PMON PROCESS
  NON CORRUPTIVE - No underlying data corruption.

  Bug 1307247: ORA-600 [1113] WHEN AN ANALYZE OPERATION FAILS OR IS CANCELLED
  fixed in 8.0.6.3, 8.1.7.1 and 9.0.0 releases.

So I think it had something to do with bailing out of an analyze.  I'm not sure
how things got gummed up in the first place but the db is fine now.

- Doug

Author: Doug C