It will be interesting to see how the new Metalink
(touted for mid this year at UKOUG) performs...It has
a look-and-feel akin to most of its new Portal based
sites (eg AskTom).

Cheers
Connor

 --- Jeremiah Wilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
> > Why do a large number of postings refer to
> "MetaLink" as "MetaStink"
> > (or "fetidstink") ?
>
> Oracle, a company that advertises its products as
> "Unbreakable," runs
> Metalink, a site that is plagued with problems of
> availability,
> usability, reliability and performance.  During a
> period in late 1998
> when they "upgraded" to "v.2" of their site,
> Metalink came back up
> extremely broken, then was was unavailable for a
> period of months.
> This outage was the beginning of a three-year
> stretch of reliability
> issues.
>
> Using Metalink, you will constantly encounter
> unexpected results such
> as error pages that contain the complete Oracle
> error from the
> database that Metalink relies on.  For a while, we
> were all getting
> ORA-4031 from their database.  Other times, an error
> page will appear
> that just says, "operation failed, try again."  No
> matter how many
> times you try, it still fails.  Just try finding the
> right way to
> report a problem with Metalink.  If you get a
> response from them, I
> would be very surprised.
>
> Metalink has a history of being poorly designed,
> poorly QA'd, poorly
> managed and unreliable.  Opening a TAR is
> ridiculously tedious.
>
> They will have to run the site competently for some
> significant length
> of time before I will stop making fun of it.
>
> OTOH, you can get some really great information from
> Metalink, with
> some effort, when it is working.  In the most recent
> few months I have
> only opened a couple TARs reporting problems with
> Metalink.
>
> YMMV
>
> --
> Jeremiah Wilton
> http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton
>
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Jeremiah Wilton
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=