Steve McClure

Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 12:35 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

> Any ideas?

Yeah.  It involves  Perl of course.

This sounds like a natural evolution for the stuff I already have.

The distributed version will be in the Perl book.  If I had time I would
create the centralized version for it, but I can't do it right now.

'Why even mention it?' you ask.

Well, it never hurts to cast about for ideas on how to do it.

The cleanest way to me would be to have a daemon/Service
( one per database, unix or Win32 ) on the db server side that
monitors the alert log.  All it would do is read the alert log, and
ship off new lines that appear ( via TCP socket ) to a centralized
analyzer.

The analyzer would be a non-forking ( Win32, remember? )
TCP server accepting the data from the unix daemons and
win32 services, writing it out to a master file, data files per
database, or to Oracle tables .  Lots of ways it could be stored.
( re the non-forking: Perl threads aren't ready for prime time )

The analyzer would check for patterns in the text that indicate
that someone should be paged. These could be global or
at the database level, probably a combination with db level
overriding global where it exists.

Emails, pages, what have you would be sent, recorded, the
errors recorded, etc.

Both client and server would require unix and win32 specific
versions, as writing a win32 service is sufficiently different from
a unix version to warrant a different code. base.

Might make a nice rev 2 tool.

Any thoughts on this?

Jared

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    m                    To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Subject:     Re: Centralized Alert
Log Monitoring
                    om

                    01/07/02 11:50
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Thanks all for the reply.
To make the problem more challenging, I would like to add that ( sorry for
not mentioning about this in my original E-mail ) our shop has both NT and
Unix.

Dennis Meng
Database Administrator
Focal Communications
847-954-8328

                    "Brian Haas"

                    <bhaas@musiciansf        To:     Multiple recipients of
list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    riend.com>               cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     Re: Centralized
Alert Log Monitoring
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    01/07/02 01:27 PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Dennis,

I'm not sure if you have any NT boxes or not, but for the unix side have
you considered setting up an NFS share? You could store one copy of the
script there and mount that share on the db servers. Then just schedule it
like you normally would (cron,at). Depending how your script works, you
may need to abstract out hard coded values, and pass them as command line
parameters for file locations, sid, etc. We do this for our web site code
and all of our utility scripts. It makes maintenence much easier.

HTH,

-Brian

Author: Brian Haas

Author: Steve McClure