Michael (TEM)
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 3:20 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Dennis:

I read an article in Oracle Magazine about a technique called
'Do-it-yourself
Views' (called DIY$ views in the article).  The article is at
http://www.oracle.com/oramag/webcolumns/2001/index.html?diy_dynamic.html.
If you have 8i or above this would work for you.  Basically, it allows
you to read flat files with a 'SELECT' statement.

I've been thinking about a tool like this, too.  My plan is something
like this:

1)      Create a 'DBAMON' database instance.  This instance needs current
        database links to each instance you want to monitor.
2)      Write the scanning algorithm in PL/SQL, and store it in the
        DBAMON instance.
3)      Create a DIY$ view in each database.  A DIY$ view is kinda like
        but not quite the flat-file select in 9i.  A DIY$ view is
        file-specific.  So you create a view and call it something like
        DIY$ALERT_LOG in each database instance, and each instance knows
        where the alertSID.log file is and how to read it.
4)      Create a job using DBMS_JOB in the DBAMON database to periodically
        scan each instance's DIY$ALERT_LOG view and look for errors.
5)      If the job finds any errors, use the UTL_SMTP package to send
        you an e-mail, or beep your pager, or whatever.

The beauty of this method is that it's all done from inside Oracle,
and doesn't rely on outside factors such as WinBatch, ksh, csh, sh,
Kix, bash, or Perl (sorry, Jared).  My DBAMON database is on my NT
workstation, and I can read alert_SID.log files from both NT and
UNIX operating systems.

So far, I've got step 1 done, step 3 done on a test database, and am
working on step #2.  Film at 11:00 if you're interested.

Remember, YMMV!

Cheers,
Mike

---