It's not an Oracle thing, so there wouldn't be anything in the docs

yes, you need a clustered environment, or at the least the ability for
the disks to be mounted on the second server when the first one goes
down.

As long as the disk that oracle has been installed on is one of the
ones that moves, or the install is identical, you can do this.

--- James McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was reading in the book "Oracle 24/7 Tips and Techniques" about
> Standby
> Instances.
>
> Note, this is not a standby database.
>
> From the book it seams to work in the following way...
>
> There is only one database.
> The database files exist on a shared disk pack. One machine is the
> primary
> instance, and if this instance dies, a new instance is started on the
> second
> machine using the datafiles on the shared disk.
>
> The problem is that I can't find anything in the Oracle docs about
> this, or
> on Meta Link.
>
> I also want to know if this method of HA requires a clustered
> environment (I
> think it does, but just want to be sure)?
>
> Also, does it come with an Enterprise Edition license?
> Or is it something which each hardware vendor implements in their own
> way,
> at extra cost?
>
> We have a requirement for a fail over method on Sun Solaris.
> We do not want to loose any committed data (i.e. a standby database
> could
> loose some), and want the fail over to be as automatic as possible.
>
> We don't want the expense of Parallel Server (Anyone know how
> expensive it
> is these days?).
>
> The disk pack is RAID, and we may also have a standby database off
> site.
>
> Has anyone any recommendations?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim

> Author: James McCann

> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
> Lists

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
Author: Rachel Carmichael