-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 6:16 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Why the heck would you set pctincrease to anything but 0 at the
tablespace level. All you need is one table, created without storage
parameters and you are fragmented.

Try "Stop Defragmenting and Start Living"... what you want to do is
exactly what your DBA said, with the addition of either local
management (in which case, pctincrease is moot) or at least "minimum
extent" on the tablespace. Create all tables in the tablespace with NO
storage clause, let it default to the tablespace's storage parameters.

This does several things:

a) you don't have to worry about storage parameters when creating
tables
b) all extents will be the same size or a multiple of each other -- so
NO fragmentation

Then you don't have to worry about the silly batch job either and can
go on and do something much more interesting.

http://auctions.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael

Author: Deshpande, Kirti