do NOT set pctincrease to 1 even in this case.

when you allow SMON to coalesce whenever it wants, it does just that,
WHENEVER it wants -- even if you have heavy user activity. So at that
time SMON is ignoring what it has to do for the users.

Also, SMON coalesce does a very small coalesce, (I can't remember if
it's 8 blocks or 8 extents at a time but it's definitely 8 something)
then goes to sleep. Not particularly efficient.

You can "fake out" the 8i features by creating your tablespace with the
proper storage parameters (or several tablespaces, following the "small
objects", "mid-sized objects", and "large objects" practice -- 3
tablespaces, place tables accordingly) and the creating tables in them
WITH NO STORAGE PARAMETERS on the table create statement. This forces
the tables to use the tablespace parameters and forces you into extents
that are the same size or multiples of one extent size. Which means you
can ignore fragmentation.

Your "gray haired" DBA knows what he/she is talking about. You might
want to listen. Older doesn't mean senility in most cases, it usually
means "I've done this and been bit by it, I learned the hard way, why
not take advantage of my experience"

Rachel

http://auctions.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael