I don't think you are living in a dream world... the key parameter you
set (that ensures the security) is

remote_os_authent=false

If you set that false in Unix, you can do basically the same thing you
are doing in NT, and you can only log in using external authentication
if you are actually logged onto the machine that the database is on.

--- "Seefelt, Beth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I know I'm probably one of the few NT weenies on the list so I hope I
> don't get too much guff from the unix guys...
>
> Disabling remote_os_authent and using external authentication are not
> mutually exclusive, and its not completely devoid of security in NT.
>
> Consider this configuration
>
> remote_os_authent=false
> osauth_prefix_domain=true
>
> sqlnet.authentication_services=(nts)
>
> Now I can create externally authenticated database accounts, prefixed
> with the domain name instead of OPS$.  When they connect to the
> database Oracle will authenticate them via Kerberos or NTLM, so their
> password doesn't even have to be passed over the network.  And they
> are authenticated by the domain, so creating a rogue server and
> creating a user account with the same name still isn't going to get
> you authenticated, unless you can set the password on the rogue
> machine to the same password as the domain account.
>
> Or am I living in a rose colored dream world?
>
> Beth

=== message truncated ===

http://auctions.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael