Title: White space compression in Oracle
Note VARCHAR and CHAR uses different comparison semantics.  With CHAR the shorter one is padded with spaces up to the same length as the longer one and a byte by byte comparison is used.  VARCHAR uses a none padded method.
-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Perkowitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 4:40 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: White space compression in Oracle

Beth,
Actually, varchar2 is char with the trailing spaces removed.  What's the difficulty with switching to varchar2?  Does RDB regenerate the white spaces when retrieving the data or something?   Generally, everyone uses varchar2 in Oracle.

Marc Perkowitz
Senior Consultant
TWJ Consulting, LLC

847-256-8866 x15