-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 12:29 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I like views... right now I'm working on the one out my office window... a
spectacular view of the Tobacco Root range across the Gallatin Valley. :-)

Regarding database views, you can't say they're entirely good or bad. They
may simplify things for reporting but they could complicate your ability to
tune the SQL... it just depends. Ad hoc end user queries on a separate
non-OLTP reporting server is one thing, ad hoc end user reporting or batch
reports with views of production source data on an OLTP server is could be
quite another. The idea of having business object views of data and turning
end users loose with a reporting tool without DBA supervision can be both
appealing and frightening. But duhvelopers SHOULD know what they're doing.
;-)

Looking out the window in Bozeman, Montana...
Steve Orr