Could it be that the standby is auto-registering itself with the listener for the production database?  We've had a couple of incidents where a development DBA copied the init.ora file from a production database configured for MTS.  But the listener parameters were not changed and all new connections were redirected to the development database.  I suspect that the standby is auto-registering itself with the listener and bumping of production.  Bouncing the production server then does it back to the standby.

HTH
Tony Aponte
-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Andert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 3:59 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Problem with standby database & listener

Fellow dba's,

We have come across a weird problem with a standby database. Every time we issue "alter database mount standby database" on the standby database, the primary database fails to connect through listener. It becomes OK after primary database is shutdown and restarted — of course this can is not an acceptable solution since the standby will be opened every week for reporting.

Anyone experience this before?  Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen Andert
Scottsdale, Arizona