I once had a manager who was a paranoid schizophrenic.  Very exciting, let
me tell you.  But, one thing he told me in a rather roundabout paranoid way
is that the way you deal with crazy bosses who were out to get you is to
make friends with other people at your boss' level in the organization,
hopefully who report to the same person your boss does, and let them know in
a laughing kind of way what your boss wants you to do.  Never be
confrontational or speak ill of your boss, because, of course, that will
wind up biting you in the ass, too.  But, that way, when your boss starts
badmouthing you and blaming you for everything that goes wrong that was his
fault, you'll be insulated from having anything bad happen to you as your
friends will close ranks around you and stop your boss from making your life
a living hell.

And then he threw his coffee cup across the room, turned bright red and
started shrieking about how the VP of R&D had always hated him.  God, I
loved that job.  Many, *MANY* wonderful stories came out of that place.

Anyway, I never thought to follow this advice, let alone share it, but, it
sounds like, in this case, you have a crazy boss, and if you stick around,
you're going to need a little safety.

Of course, posting your resume isn't a bad approach either.

HTH,
Bambi.
Author: Bellows, Bambi