Thanks for all the replies.      We are determined to lay out the data as
well as we can across the disks we are about to purchase - with the goal of
striping across array groups and smaller, faster drives.     The real
argument for us is 18GB vs. 73GB disk drives and how we can stripe.     The
Hitachi is configured into groups of 4 physical disks called "parity
groups" and you can choose RAID 5 or RAID 1+0 for that 4 disk set.    If
you have 73GB drives in a 4-disk RAID 5 configuration you get roughly 219GB
of usable space in each parity group (this is what we are being told is the
best option for us).    This means our heavily concurrently accessed 400GB
production database goes on 2 parity groups (2 sets of 4 disks).      To
me, this sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen and we are trying to
stop it.    The 18GB drives are less capacity but we can get ourselves
spread over more parity groups for better concurrency.     We do have about
10GB of cache but it is being shared across the enterprise with various
other applications.      We as a DBA group are really trying to sell the
18GB RAID 1+0 drive solution especially after reading the groups'
experiences - unfortunately we are fighting a lot of marketing hype.

If anyone has additional experiences or feedback with Hitachi or EMC they
would like to share or comments (agree/disagree) with my thoughts, I'd love
to hear them.       I'm open for learning!

Thanks,

John Dailey
Oracle DBA
ING Americas - Application Services
Atlanta, GA

                    "Don

                    Granaman"            To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    <granaman@cox        cc:

                    .net>                Subject:     Re: disk subsystem performance
question
                    Sent by:

                    root@fatcity.

                    com

                    04/10/2002

                    01:08 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Short answer - NO!  Nobody's disk subsystem is so fast that no intelligence
is required in the layout.  This is common vendor blather and one of the
most popular myths.  I have been hearing it for at least six years - and it
still isn't true.  Layout still makes a huge difference.  RAID levels still
make a huge difference.  Cache won't solve all your problems (it does help
though).  I've redone the disk layout on some of the biggest, fastest
fully-loaded with cache EMC Syms available that had some "don't worry about
it" layout and seen database throughput go up by as much as 8x.

See Gaja's whitepaper on RAID at http://www.quest.com/whitepapers/Raid1.pdf
.

Don Granaman
[certifiable oraSaurus]