Last Friday, our 9012 database froze, I mean the only way we could get in
was through sqlplus, no other tool would connect. We needed to bring the
other side up as soon as possible so didn't spend any time running any
queries to see what was the problem. The other side (of the cluster)
wouldn't come up because it reported that some resource it needed was
locked. So we had to shot the pmon process.

When analyzing the situation later, we found that Oracle didn't dump a
single useful trace file, so contacting OWS was pretty much useless. OS logs
were clean, no alarms raised there.

Has anyone encountered this situation that Oracle freezes and crashes
without any trace files? How does one collect useful information in such
cases? Are there any tools that we could use to gather at-lease some
information before the DB crashes?

Thanks in advance for any ideas and tips.
Raj
Rajendra Jamadagni              MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!

This e-mail message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) above
and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error, or are
not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify corporate MIS at (860) 766-2000
and delete this e-mail message from your computer, Thank you.