I agree, the Jr. DBA must focus on learning.
Mid DBA...is still learning. Many Mid still view tuning/troubleshooting as
an art (with a little magic thrown in)
Sr. DBA...is still learning. Realizes that database management is a science,
requiring research, expirementation and a very healthy dose of skepticism.

The best Sr. DBAs that I know are the first ones to say 'I don't know'. That
is the only true path to learning. No one can know everything. Often times
the Jr. DBA will be a great source of knowledge since they don't know what
NOT to ask.

Reaction to reading Books/Documentation
Junior - I did not know that
Mid - I know that
Senior - Perhaps...let's prove it

When a developer/user asks for a change to the database
Junior - I'll look it up and change it
Mid - I have a script to do that, I'll let you know when I am done
Senior - Why are you needing this change? Did you realize that x will cause
y? Let's figure out the best way to accomplish the result.

When faced with an undocumented condition/unknown error
Junior - Log a TAR, get frustrated with 'We need a trace file. We need more
information. <We have no clue...>'. Calls more senior help.
Mid - Remembers a passage in a book, tries out the command. Fixes the
symptom.
Senior - Knows that x can cause y, if z is present. Tracks condition from
symptom through to actual problem.

Attends sessions at IOUG
Junior - Assumes that all speakers know exactly what they are talking about
and all vendor tools work as advertised.
Mid - Listens to and believes Tim, Cary, Craig, Rich, Rachel, Gaja and all
other High Holy Oracle Gurus preach
Senior - Listens to, questions and tests (on non production systems) what
Tim, Cary, Craig, Rich, Rachel, Gaja and all other High Holy Oracle Gurus
preach

Knowledge level
Junior - Has no clue what they know and don't know
Mid - Knows what they know
Senior - Knows what they don't know

Every Senior DBA is a mix of Jr. and Mid. They may know a great deal about
one subsystem of Oracle, but lack knowledge in another area.

Daniel W. Fink
Sr. Oracle DBA
MICROMEDEX
303.486.6456