or you can use the logical standby feature of 9.2 and then have both
databases open.

Replication bothers me when I start to think about synchronous vs
asynchronous. Async doesn't "hold up" the primary site from continuing
on, but the databases are not true copies of one another. Sync are true
copies but you can hold up the commit waiting for a return from the
remote site.

And if it fails, it's messy to clean up

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael