When I have had to rarely deal with report writers, or heck really any ODBC
tool I use the approach you describe.  Write a stored procedure that returns
EXACTLY what you need, then just let the tool format it.

In this case however, The problem is we want "drill down" capability.  Now
while Oracle Reports does support this, it requires the Oracle Reports
runtime on the desktop.  One requirement for the drill down reports is that
they be deployed via the web.  Our Forms/Reports guy informs us that Oracle
Reports only supports Http or pdf output to the web.  That is what is making
us consider Crystal again.  We have gone that route, but decided it was far
better to learn Oracle Reports and use lots of common development techniques
than it was to go through the painful contortions of the Crystal Reports
learning curve.  I should also add that while there might be an oracle
product that does allow for web deployed drill down reporting, I doubt we
will want to license it from Oracle.  Their latest round of license
interpretations has left a bad taste in managements mouth.

Anyhow, someone responded offline that Brio was the product they were using,
and that is the exact product I was looking for.  Now I am just hoping they
support fancy web deployed reports.  I will also check into the sourceforge
someone else also mentioned.

Thanks,
Steve