Rachel,
 With a table that small I would consider caching the table to
eliminate the io.
I do not know if you can cache an IOT but then it should be even
faster.
Ron
ROR

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/05/02 04:28PM >>>
Cary,

in the nick of time.... I have a very small table (4 rows) that will
be
accessed as part of a view. But this view will be accessed a LOT
during
the day. I hadn't thought to index the table but....

now, it's a single column table (just a list of codes to include in
the
join but I don't want to hard_code them into the view). SO I guess
I'll
just create it as a IOT, combining index and saving space at the same
time

Rachel

--- Cary Millsap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Even when the high-water mark thing isn't a problem, it's sometimes
> more
> efficient to read every row in a table through an index than via a
> full-table scan.
>

> If you're curious, try this. Create a table with two columns, "key"
> and
> "value", and insert one row with key=1, value='x'. Create an index
on
> "key". Then.
>

> alter session set events '10046 trace name context forever, level
8';

> select * from onerow;  /* just to make sure it's cached */
>
> select * from onerow;
>
> select * from onerow where key=1;  /* just to make sure it's cached
> */
>
> select * from onerow where key=1;
>
> exit;
>

> Now look at your trace data. You'll find that the full-table scan of
> this table is both cheaper and faster through the index.
>

> The age-old advice from many SQL tuning "experts" is badly wrong
when
> they tell you never to index small tables. For applications that
> execute
> a lot of small-table queries, the performance impact really adds up.
>

> Cary Millsap
> Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
> http://www.hotsos.com
>
> Upcoming events:
> - Hotsos Clinic <http://www.hotsos.com/training/clinic> , Oct 1-3
San
> Francisco, Oct 15-17 Dallas, Dec 9-11 Honolulu
> - 2003 Hotsos Symposium <http://www.hotsos.com/events/symposium>  on
> OracleR System Performance, Feb 9-12 Dallas

=== message truncated ===

http://finance.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael

Author: Ron Rogers