what are the drawbacks with such a trigger, what if the code went invalid and would not compile is
it possible that you could lock yourself out, or would the base login functionality still work regardless
or the status of this trigger?
-----Original Message-----
From: Mercadante, Thomas F [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 12:24 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: methodology to keep only certain programs to connect to

Joe,

I use the following with decent success on a logon database trigger:

--  Set a unique string for the session and update the session info.
client_info_str := 'WTWLOGIN_' || LTRIM(dbms_random.value,'.');
DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO.SET_CLIENT_INFO(client_info_str);

-- look into the v$session view for the session just connected.
SELECT program, username,
osuser, terminal, machine
INTO loc_program, loc_username,
loc_osuser,loc_terminal,loc_machine
FROM V$SESSION
WHERE client_info=client_info_str;

From here, you can test the loc_program variable against the loc_username to see if the combination is correct.
Stuff like:

IF loc_username='TESTLOGIN' then
   RAISE kill_Login;
END IF;
EXCEPTION
WHEN kill_Login THEN
    RAISE_APPLICATION_ERROR(-20999,'Login''s using this account and this tool are Invalid');

Hope this helps!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional