From: Thomas Jeff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 5:23 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Mass inserts from TCL ?

I have a programmer inquiring as to the viability of having up to 10-15 concurrent client
sessions inserting orders that would contain anywhere from 100 to 6000 order line items each
via TCL.     The orders are generated from a browser client and the whole shebang has to
be real-time.

They initially planned on a loop within the TCL code, each line item being an individual insert
into the order items table via a stored procedure.   I'm still eliciting requirements, for instance,
does the whole order need to commit or can they accept a partial order, and so forth.

I'm not familiar with TCL at all, so if anyone has extensive experience in it, I would appreciate
if you could share some programming techniques or ideas as to how to perform, if possible,
some form of batch processing, rather than up to 6000 individual calls to the stored procedure.

Thanks.

Jeffery D Thomas
DBA
Thomson Information Services
Thomson multimedia Inc.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Indy DBA Master Documentation available at:
http://gkmqp.tce.com/tis_dba
Select 'Indy DBA' then 'DBA Web Pages'