Has anyone experiences to share on DB Performance Tuning
for Oracle Portal  [DB 8.1.7.2 for Oracle Portal 3.0.9.8.0 as part of iAS
1.0.2.2,
not yet having upgraded the Portal to 3.0.9.8.3 or 3.0.9.8.4] ?

Our portal implementation seems to have the following characteristics :
   1.  Each page has 4 to 6 portlets  [some are HTML, others StoredProcedures]
   2.  Every time a user visits a page, each of the portlets makes a seperate
connection to the database, executes the procedure and disconnects.  [ie,
4 to 6 connect-execute-disconnect calls for each page for each visitor].  I
tried setting the "connection-pooling" or "connection-reuse" feature in
the modplsql gateway settings but this suddenly caused the number of database
sessions to go up from 40-60 to 200 in a matter of minutes.  Apparently,
there's
a few bugs logged and a couple of notes advising not to use this feature,
particularly
if you have Intermedia Indexing enabled -- which we have.  So I had to set the
connection-reuse back to No.
   3.  StatsPack indicates high waits on log-file-sync. OK, the LGWR may be
slow writing to redo logs --- but this is a Portal, why are we having a
large number
of writes/transactions/commits in the first place ?

Hemant K Chitale
My web site page is :  http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale