> disk, some on NAS-based storage".
>
> Can someone please explain the differences between these technologies
> please.
>
> My understanding that a SAN is a group of disks which are available on a
> network and are not 'owned' by a server and have no direct cables into a
> server.
> I also understood NAS to be network based disk (duh!)

Please correct, clarify, or comment as needed;  I don't recall ever having
seen a formal definition for either acronym:

    * SAN (storage area network): storage-arrays connected by dedicated
high-speed interconnects (i.e. SCSI, SSA, FC-AL, etc) managed by a dedicated
server, including switches and routers to provide storage for one or
multiple storage clients (i.e. what we tend to call "servers")...

    * NAS (network-attached storage):  storage that is hosted by (i.e.
mounted on) a dedicated, special-purpose server and made available to
network clients via IP protocols like NFS, Samba, etc across general-purpose
IP networks.  For NAS, think "dedicated NFS server" or "dedicated file
server" or the like and you've got the idea...

There are so many technologies mixed into SANs that I find it difficult to
generalize.  It is probably more appropriate to define NAS first and then
say "SANs are everything else" in networked storage, but I thought I'd try
it the hard way...

Further generalizing:

    * SANs are capable of faster and more sustainable I/O throughput rates,
but more complex and more expensive
    * NAS are economical, easy to administer, and easy to implement, but
provide lower sustained I/O throughput rates

For this reason, I don't see the question as an "either-or" proposition
(i.e. either all SAN or all NAS).  They are each point-solutions along a
continuum, as illustrated in the "strategy" in my previous reply.  Data
passes through a life-cycle, just like anything else.  Requirements for
storage and retrieval can change during that life-cycle...

-----

... "continuum" ...... there's a high-class word I've been itching to use
..... has the potential to become as hoity-toity and annoying as "paradigm"
and "juxtaposition", though...  :-)

Author: Tim Gorman