A high blevel on a bitmap can often suggest that a
reasonable amount of dml is occurring on the
underlying table which is pretty much a no-no.
bitmaps are very prone to ballooning in size wildly
when lots of dml is applied.

Jonathan Lewis showed me a test case where a table
with just a few hundred rows had its bitmap blossom to
600M and a blevel of 10 with a tiny number of updates
to the table.

hth
connor

 --- Mogens_Nørgaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > I
used to preach the same rules of thumb: If blevel
> > 4, if average
> filling of leaf blocks < 50, etc., etc. These days,
> as I become older
> and older and more and more bitter, I'm inclined to
> say: If you're
> having a problem with a SQL statement or a business
> function or a report
> or whatever - and if the problem is time spent
> waiting for IO - then
> it's worth checking if the IO occurs on the index or
> the table (possible
> with the segment stats available in 9.2) - and if
> there's a lot of extra
> IO happening to the index and it's possible to
> rebuild it so that fewer
> blocks will be read by Oracle - then it will help.
>
> Also, of course, if the system in general needs to
> have lower IO usage
> because of some disk/SAN-problem it's worth checking
> where the IO
> happens. If it's on an index it's worth finding out
> whether a rebuild
> will help or not.
>
> Mogens
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > According to oracle documentation or metalink
> sources,  if the BLEVEL
> > were to be more than 4, it is recommended to
> rebuild the index.
> >

> >     select index_name, blevel,
> >     decode(blevel,0,'OK BLEVEL',1,'OK BLEVEL',
> 2,'OK BLEVEL',3,'OK
> >     BLEVEL',4,
> >     'OK BLEVEL','BLEVEL HIGH') OK
> >     from dba_indexes
> >     where owner = '<owner-name>';
> >
> >     When troubleshooting a performance problem in
> a data warehousing
> >     environment I found that some of the indexes
> had BLEVEL at 5 or 6.
> >
> >     I am curious to know whether these indexes are
> candidates for
> >     rebuild. Should be looking at BLEVEL for
> bit-mapped indexes at
> >     all?  I am not that experienced in bit-mapped
> indexes hence
> >     posting it to the group.
> >
> >     Thanks in advance.
> >
> >     Govind

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
http://www.oaktable.net

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish, and...he will
sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=