 -----Original Message-----
Sent: 18 December 2002 13:55
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Joan,

Here is a suggestion ...
if this is going to be your most used part, I'd look into Intermedia ...
you'll have a lot more options to work with and they will work good.

Until then, I'd recommend replacing instr() with appropriate LIKE clause
because at-least it will help you use an index. Through a DB trigger ensure
that all names (first/middle/last) are always in UPPER so you don't have to
pur UPPER or deal with FBI.

Initially I thought of merging all clauses into one, but then I realized,
Oracle will end up doing what I un-did (it will replace all OR conditions to
UNION ALL anyways).

Happy Holidays Everyone !!
Raj
Rajendra Jamadagni              MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!

Author: Nicoll, Iain