way back when, I wrote my own set of scripts to handle backups. As each
datafile was backed up, I wrote the full path name to a text file. At
the end of the backup the text file was written to tape as well.

As I did restores, I read the text file. then I used that file to let
me know which file I was reading from the tape and where to put it. I
wrote another text file while I was doing the restore, as each file was
successfully read and written to disk. This allowed me to restart the
restore from where I had stopped, instead of from the beginning again.

Admittedly, this was for cold backups of the Oracle database, but I
can't see why RMAN couldn't have as easily done the same thing for hot
backups.

=== message truncated ===

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael