Understand that this is all secondhand reporting:

I don't believe maxcorrupt was set. It appears that the backup itself
is fine, that the problem is hardware corruption. The hosting company
DBAs are telling me that 'no errors were written into the RMAN logs'
(this is a direct quote). However there are tons of errors (see my
reply to Brian McGraw) in the alert log, and they were not checking for
those errors.

It looks like RMAN is finding corrupted disk blocks when it does the
backup and writing this information to the alert log. Which is fine,
I'm just annoyed that they weren't checking for that, as they are
supposedly experienced RMAN users.

As best as I can determine, we had a massive failure of the disk
subsystem. I had the level 0 backup from Sunday morning restored to
another file system and then ran analyze table validate structure on
the objects with no errors.  When we did the same thing on the original
file system, the analyze found corrupted blocks everywhere. A database
with 117 tablespaces and corruption in over 10 datafiles, when the
datafiles are all on the same mount point (don't ask, I don't get to
choose, I'm told "it's SAN, don't worry your little head over I/O
contention") and when that file system mysteriously "disappeared" from
the server for awhile a few hours before corruption started, leads me
to presume massive hardware problems.

But I'm not supposed to be involved in this, I'm just the development
DBA. So how come it's MY problem?

ARGH!!!!!

http://taxes.yahoo.com/
Author: Rachel Carmichael