6 AM  --- A new shift comes on.  Or is that when the janitor shows up and
needs a place to plug in his vacuum cleaner?

I am always suspicious of hardware/system failures that fall right on the
hour.

I once had an Oracle database on an AIX system.  Every morning, when I came
in, it was just starting up.  Turns out that the SA like to have a "clean"
system so at the start of his shift he would hit the RESET button on his
RS/6000.  No warning or notification, no graceful shutdown, just punch the
big red button.

He also thought that backing up the entire database once a week would take
too long so he would back up one RAID device every other day.  With three
RAID devices that gave him a weekly backup.

I finally got him educated but he didn't pass it on to his subs.  He was in
Jamaica (mon) for a week when we had a power outage.  The UPS worked and we
were able to keep going but two days later we lost all the files on our
RAID devices.  They located him in Jamaica, flew him back, he walked into
the computer run, flipped the switch on the RAID devices' UPS, and they
flew him back to Jamaica.  His sub had reset the computer's UPS but had
ignored that blinking red light over in the corner.

                      Rachel

                      Carmichael               To:      Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      <wisernet100             cc:

                      @yahoo.com>              Subject: RE: corrupted block

                      Sent by: root

                      02/27/2003 10:10

                      AM

                      Please respond

                      to ORACLE-L

it's not a hardware problem. the fact that the filesystem failed at 6AM
this morning is merely a collective hallucination

yes, it went down hard. My database was not on it, I had insisted they
move all the files. They didn't move the Oracle binaries though ("there
is no hardware problem") so we are down anyway, while they reinstall
Oracle to a different filesystem

I'm getting tired of recovering this database. Over and over and over
again. I've got this recovery scenario down pat, let's move on to a new
one to try

http://taxes.yahoo.com/
Author: Rachel Carmichael

Author: Thomas Day