John, That is a good question. What is the purpose of
this task Analysis?

I am trying to see what most DBA's perceive as what is
the most important things to learn so you can manage
an Oracle Database.

An example would be Learning Oracle Architecture. If
you are a small, medium or large company, Architecture
is probably the most important.

Within the Oracle Architecture what is the most
important for me to learn to job.

Learning the SGA structures and how to size them.
Learning the physical structures of the database and
how to manage them.

So if you wanted to be a DBA with Oracle what major
Oracle components do think you need know to accomplish
that job and what sub-components are important?

If I was a DBA in a company that does a lot of interne
t activity what do I need to know? If I run a 7X24
shop what do I need to know and so on.

Small, medium and Large companies will require a base
knowledge and as you get more niche you will need to
understand other components of Oracle. We also need to
look at what is niche. RAC is niche but becoming more
mainstream. What do I need to know to run a HA shop,
however Context, XML and Spatial are in the database,
while these are niche they are as common as RAC.

So what I am looking for is what people perceive to be
the most common components needed to do their Job.
Another interesting question is do I need to learn how
to create the database and other database objects
using manual methods or do I use DBCA and EM to do my
job. Is knowing the GUI sufficient for me to be a DBA?

These are why I am asking these questions. I really
want to know what you really need to know right down
to you only need to know it if you implement the
option.

Does this help?

Scott

--- "Hallas, John, Tech Dev"