Scott,

This is quite a list you have compiled.

I wouldn't subtract anything.

The only thing I could think of to add was in the Scalability section.

This section  seems to concentrate on using Oracle technologies
to enhance scalability, but there is another level that I think needs
to be considered as well.

The ability to scale ( or not ) is built into an application.   An app
that
calls 'select something from dual' in every transaction is going to
have problems.

So will apps where the developers insist on trying to do everything
in code rather than relying on the database.

A DBA should be able to recognize when this is happening.  The
best course is to have an adivisory position in this regard when an
app is being developed.  Doesn't often happen this way though.

A DBA should be able to demonstrate common developer habits
that inhibit scalability, and how to recode these so that they are
more scalable.

Being able to do so in PL/SQL is sufficient, and in fact preferable.

Any chance of us seeing the completed analysis?

Jared

Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 04/01/2003 01:14 PM