>From memory:  Many moons ago, DEC sold RDB off to Oracle.  RDB shops were
told by Oracle that their license/maintence fees would double or triple for
RDB in an effort to migrate them to Oracle.  Many said "bite me".  In the
meantime, Oracle took much of the cool stuff from RDB and incorporated it
into Oracle DB.  I don't remember specific features anymore, but the
combination gave us Oracle7.

One of the best features that Oracle Corp declined to migrate is RDB's
concept of SQLMODs.  SQLMODs are a language-independant module of your SQL
whose SQL routines are called by your 3GL (COBOL, BASIC, C, FORTRAN, etc).
All that's needed is a separate "compiler" to create an object module from
the SQLMOD.  Then that SQLMOD can be linked with your 3GL object mod to
create the .EXE.  Brilliant!  Instead, we're left with Oracle's icky
language-specific pre-compilers.  Blecchh.

Rich

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich