From: Mogens Nørgaard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 9:10 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Oracle ambushes Peoplesoft with $5.1bn bid

If I may Compare The Uncomparable for a few seconds, I think there are two possible outcomes - at least if I look at examples from the database world:

1. IBM's purchase of Informix was only intended to get to the customer base. IBM will try to move them all to DB2 asap. They have no plan, idea or enthusiasm for another database in their inventory.

2. Oracle's purchase of Rdb is one of the best buys I've seen in the industry. Ever. They kept the guys with the full bears in the New England Development Center .They were typically all so old and bitter that they'd actually - get this - write specs and test stuff before writing and releasing code. Fantastic. Oracle also kept coming out with new versions of Rdb with new features, improved this and improved that, and so forth. They still have a very good relationship with the Rdb customers around the world (like Lego with about 750 Rdb databases), and slowly the customers will move to Oracle.

This doesn't mean that a merger between People Soft and Oracle will go well, but at least it's the new thing that we've all been waiting for to happen so Oracle once again looks interesting and exciting - might even bump up the share prise a bit.

Mogens

Goulet, Dick wrote:
Raj,

    Good point.  People Soft does all of their development work on M$ Sql Server and it's one of their supported platforms.  IBM would have a similar desire since you know that once People Soft becomes part of Oracle support for non Oracle DB's will die.  Actually according to the press release People Soft will become Oracle E-Business suite.  That's why I characterize this as a whale swallowing another whale.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA