Tom,
        I prefer to backup the whole database, but in some situations that I have
encountered, it is not possible. If you look at the ratio of backups to recoveries,
the savings can be substantial. As part of the backup/recovery documentation, the
scripts to rebuild (actually the physical location of said scripts) the indexes are
included as part of the process.
        At one client, the monthly load window for a data warehouse was insufficient
to be able to perform a full backup. By skipping the performance indexes, we were able
to make the window. At another, the backup processes and dedicated disk were too small
due to a lack of proper planning. It took less than a week to move and rebuild the
indexes and we were able to backup the data and constraint indexes.
        Obviously, neither of these situations was ideal. In fact, the backup
modification was purely a band-aid solution, but it allowed us to focus on backing up
the critical components successfully.

Daniel Fink

"Mercadante, Thomas F" wrote:

> I disagree with the concept of recovery not including some indexes because
> "they can be rebuilt later".  To me, that's like going to a gas station and
> only filling the tank half-way because "I can get more gas later".  You are
> saving small amounts of time up front, but will pay for it later on.
>
> I prefer to restore a totally whole database (when needed), and not having
> to rely on my memory to rebuild some indexes that we purposly chose not to
> back up.  Just seems silly to me.
>
> Tom Mercadante
> Oracle Certified Professional
begin:vcard